Friday, January 10, 2014

Flour Sack Towels (FST) as Cloth Diapers

So, I posted this thread awhile back on my favorite and most helpful cloth diaper Facebook group "The Cloth Diaper Compendium" .  

I asked Square Daddy to stop at Walmart on the way home to get Flour Sack Towels. I haven't tried them and the cheap cheap cotton flats that I purchased are starting to unravel. So, I figure I'll give these towels a go. They're even less expensive than the cotton flats I'm wrecking, and it's only $5! 

I asked him to go to Walmart and call me for further instructions. I can already see how this conversation is going to go. 

Me: "Ok honey, I need you to find the kitchen section where the kitchen towels are". 

Him: "Ok.....but we have lots of kitchen towels". 

Me: "I know we do, I'm not going to use them in the kitchen, they're for our Dirty Little Hippie." 

Him: "Oh, are you going to use them for burp cloths or something, we have a lot of those too". 

Me: "No, they're not for burp cloths. Have you found them yet?" 

Him: "Yes, I'm in the towel section." 

Me: "Now, look for Mainstay Flour Sack Towels. They're solid white. There will be 5 in the package and they are $4.98 per package". 

Him: "Ok, I see xyz towels...Oh, here are some white ones with birds on them. They have the red ones we have at home" 

Blah Blah. He'll tell me about 10 things he sees that I DON'T need before he tells me they don't have them and right before he gives up (about 5 minutes in) he finds them! "Ok, I have them!" "Now, what are you going to do with them"? 

Me: "I'm going to use them as diapers." 

RADIO SILENCE 

Him: "You're going to put towels on the baby's ass?" 

And, then I'll send him for the distilled water I'm going to start using in the wipe solution. LOL! Wish me luck!

Lucky for me, Square Daddy actually not only found the Flour Sack Towels (FST) without incident, but did so quickly and brought them back home without even questioning the fact that I was going to use them as cloth diapers.  I think at this point, he's learned not to question anything weird that I do.  I always have my reasons. 

I wasn't sure about using towels as diapers at first.  But, they are 100% cotton and that's exactly what cotton flats are.  These towels looked much sturdier that the cheap cotton flats that I had ordered from china.  I figured, if they didn't work for me then I wasn't out a whole lot of money, and I didn't have to wait on them to ship to be able to try them out. 

The first thing I did was take them out of the package and WOW.  These things are HUGE compared to the flats I had been using.  I have both bamboo and cotton flats and they are both the same size.  I have pictured a bamboo flat here against the cotton flour sack towel (pre-wash).  


FST on bottom and bamboo flat on top



Just to give another perspective, here is one of our Dirty Little Hippie's largest 3 month jammies on top of one of the flour sack towels (pre-wash). 

FST under a large 3 month outfit

They're 28" x 29" pre-wash and although they do shrink up a bit, they're still very "roomy" after being washed and dried.

There isn't a lot that you must to to prep them.  I washed them once before using.  That's it.  As always (and with all of my cloth diapers) I use my regular mainstream detergent without fabric softener.  There is no special detergent required and the use of fabric softeners will hinder the fabrics ability to fully absorb fluid, so they should be avoided.

As with all of my flats, I utilized the diaper bag fold.  It is so far my favorite because it's quick and easy to do, can be altered for a growing baby and looks neat when completed.  Check back soon for a link on all the great ways to fold flats!  Until then, you can perform a google search on "folding flat diapers" for lots of ideas!

I also utilize fleece liners with all of my diapers (flats, prefolds and pockets).  Our baby girl is super sensitive to wetness and fleece liners wick the moisture away from baby and into the diaper leaving her feeling dryer for longer.  You can view my post on making your own fleece liners for under $1 here: Making Your Own Fleece Diaper Liners

FST folded in diaper bag fold with fleece liner



Baby diapered with FST and fastened with Snappi






Once applied, the diaper can be secured with either a snappi or pins.  We prefer the snappi closure at our house. 
Cover being applied over FST to make diaper waterproof





 



We use diaper covers at home and on the go, just to keep ourselves (and everything else her cuteness touches) dry.  A diaper cover (or pocket diaper) can be put on right over the flour sack towel just as you would any other flat.







Baby in yet another CUTE Rumparooz diaper cover!

I can't tell you how pleased I am to have found FST diapering!  We literally use these almost every day.

A) They're inexpensive
B) They take no special detergents
C) They dry quickly
D) They absorb lots of liquid
E) They can be used a a flat diaper or folded as a soaker/doubler in pocket diapers and covers
F) No bleach needed, just dry in the sun

and on, and on, and on.

The original cloth diapers really are the easiest cloth diapers in my opinion.  It is true that a pocket diaper may look like the stand out choice, but not all pocket diaper designs fit all babies.  By using flats (such as FST) you truly get a custom fit for your baby each and every time.  And if you've purchased a stash of pocket diapers that don't yet fit or that fit your baby poorly, consider using them as covers over FSTs until they either fit your baby properly or you can sell or trade them for something that does!

Do you use FST diapering?  What has your experience been?  How do you use them?

Will you consider using them now?


Please don't forget to Pin this post and add your comments below.

15 comments:

  1. I use prefolds and covers, and pocket diapers. I have considered getting some FST's to try out, and I've also been meaning to make some fleece liners! My boy doesn't mind being wet, but the prefolds are so wet I feel he would be more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the price, you really should try them! The other great thing about the FST is they're larger and you have more folding options with flats, so you can use them longer!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Rock on TCDC! Hey Sister! It literally is the best thing I've found as a CD mama! They have seriously saved me money and saved my sanity! I'm so lucky to have found them so early in our CD journey!

      Delete
  3. Do you have any other brands of FST you recommend? Mainstay ones are no longer available at Walmart :( and I cant seem to find 28" x 29" ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shelby, I wasn't aware that Walmart was discontinuing the Mainstay FST. They are still available here in Texas. Maybe they are removing them from regions with low sales? Bakers Choice is available at SAMs. They are almost identical except just slightly larger. Target (I don't know the brand) carries some as do Ikea. Those three would be my next "go to" searches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will have to check those! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Is your daughter wearing a NB RAR cover?? Or a one size??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flour Sack Towels (FST) as Cloth Diapers. So, I posted ... pclothdiapers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. We used lots if prefolds and aios with our first baby, the next is due this may and today I grabble a few of these same fst. I've been playing around with folds and creeping blogs to see how others like them too and I can already tell these are going to be well loved diapers! Can't wsit to actually use them again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi ya'll I just wanted to let you in on my very favorite place for almost EVERYTHING ordinary & unusual. Good ol' AMAZON.COM! They truly have the largest selection on anything you may need and or want, and that's exactly why I purchase my "sack" towels and so many other things thru them. The only thing may be shipping cost depending on where u live? I have Amazon Prime so shipping is 2 days and FREE always.. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cheapest ones I found were Wal-Mart's. I have prime too.

      Delete
  10. I bought my FST from Target and I believe the brand is called "Room Essentials" you get 4 in a pack for $3.99 and they are 30x30 if that helps :)Great post by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How long can your baby wear a FST before you need to change? I had some cotton prefolds that I had to change every hour and I'd like to be able to go longer between changes. I can't even drive to the grocery store, get groceries, and drive home with out baby leaking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, you wrote this post a couple years back, but it's still doing a lot of good. I picked up some FSTs and was kinda lost. I've been using them in the (too small) size 2 cloth diapers since we don't have the wiggle room in our budget to buy larger cloth diapers. Thanks for sharing your experience, I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete