Monday, January 6, 2014

Receiving Blankets as Cloth Diapers

You wouldn't immediately think of a receiving blanket as being a diapering option, but it makes an excellent flat diaper for many reasons:

A)  It's 100% cotton
B)  It's square/rectangle
C)  It's easy to launder
D)  It dries quickly
E) It comes in a million pretty colors and patterns


When first hearing about using receiving blankets as a diaper, I was skeptical.  I wasn't quite sure about the logistics of it.  I mean, it's a blanket after all.  But when it really comes down to it, it's a 100% cotton piece of fabric that like any other flat, can be folded many different ways!

My first task was to acquire receiving blankets.  Unlike most everyone in America, I didn't receive a horde of them at my baby shower.  I had a small low key shower and received a total of three receiving blankets.  I knew that in order to properly test the theory of using these for diapering our three month old, I would need a lot more than just three.  We usually go through around 10-15 cloth diapers a day.  The quickest way to acquire additional blankets was to post an add on several of our local Facebook online garage sale sites.  So, that's what I did.  I posted an add on three sites stating:
"ISO: Receiving blankets for baby. Preferably unisex or girlie prints. Like new or very very gently used. Please post price when responding. Local In-Town PU preferable."
Within the hour, I had responses.  Ultimately, I acquired an additional 25+ blankets for less than $1 each.  I'm sure if I had posted that I was looking for free receiving blankets, I would have also had responses as a few of my acquisition were indeed donated to me. 

My next task was to wash them and get them ready for use.  As I was pretty sure that none of these receiving blankets had been used for diapering in the past, I skipped a disinfecting soak and went straight for regular laundering.  No need for any special "cloth diaper safe" soaps/detergents (I don't use anything special on my regular diapers either - gasp! - But we'll talk more about that later).  I used our regular Arm & Hammer Free and Clear that we wash all of baby's clothes in.  Why A&H F&C you ask?  Because that's what was on sale before she was born.  I also have a stash of All F&C waiting in the wings.  When that is all gone, I'll likely go with Kirkland or Tide F&C until our Dirty Little Hippie is a little older and less likely to have detergent sensitivities.  After a hot water wash and a quick dry, I decided to use my favorite "Diaper Bag" fold and get them all ready.

You can google "Flat Diaper Folds" and find a million of them.  I do plan on a separate post with picture and video links, but don't have time for that right this moment.  So, pin this post and check back in a few weeks where you will find an updated link to said future post.

The diaper bag fold works great for us because it stores and carries perfectly.  Here are a few examples of what the fold looks like completed.  


 Once folded, they store very nicely.  Here I used $1 bins from Dollar Tree for storage.  You'll notice that one bin holds more than the other.  I suggest finding storage that is affordable and works for you.  At $1, Dollar Tree really does have some great storage ideas!



18 Folded Diapers (Ready to use)
16 Folded Diapers (Ready to use)
I decided to do a 5 day test run of exclusive receiving blanket diapering.  Well........with one exception.  We still use 1 disposable diaper every night.  I've been blessed with a baby who sleeps but is sensitive to wet.  I don't currently see the point in disturbing her sleep just to say we cloth diaper 100% of the time.

Here is what our "diaper bag" diaper looks like.  You will note that I use fleece liners in all of our diapers (this photo shows our blue butterflies).  The fleece liners wick moisture away from baby and keep her happy and dry.  I am happy to say that it has also eliminated our bout with wetness rash. 


Folded Receiving Blanket
Blanket with "wings" open
Blanket with "tail" open

Blanket with fleece liner placement shown
A Blanket on baby as diaper secured with snappi

Blanket covered with cutest Rumparooz diaper cover

At the end of our 5 day trial, I can honestly say, we'll continue using receiving blankets in our diaper rotation.  Here are some notes from our experience:

1.  Receiving blankets come in different sizes.  There are standard sized blankets (square) and large blankets (rectangle).  
2.  They're much thicker than the flour sack towels that we use and that was a downside for me.  I prefer the thin flour sack towels as they are a trimmer fit for our three month old. Some people prefer a thicker diaper and for you, these would be perfect for any time any day.
3.  When I get ready to try cloth at night, these will be on my list.  They can hold some serious liquid! I would say they hold twice or three times the amount of liquid my flour sack towel diapers hold and they are seriously absorbent.
4.  The large blankets will be well suited for larger babies, toddlers and overnight.
5.  Blankets can be secured using a snappi or pins.  I prefer a snappi as I would seriously be poking myself ALL the time with pins.


Remember, receiving blankets are 100% cotton and are perfectly safe and suitable as cloth diapers.  The fact that they are marketed as "blankets" does not make them an inferior choice.   They come in a million pretty colors and patterns and I found that we could go without a cover if checked often. They can be found at garage sales, online garage sales, friends, family and thrift shops for next to nothing.

Have you or do you use receiving blankets as cloth diapers?

Do you think you'll try them now?

Please don't forget to pin this post and add your comments below.

12 comments:

  1. Great idea! I have a ton of receiving blankets I could use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had more, somehow with 3 kids I only have a few :)

      Delete
  2. This is a fantastic idea. I currently use flour sack towels exclusively during the day in a pad fold as an insert. My 1 yo recently started needing more absorption and I started just laying a single layer flannel cloth 'wipe' in the wet zone up front (boy) and it's been enough not to need more. I'm wondering if the thicker flannel receiving blankets wouldn't be perfect boosters too! or even maybe a nighttime insert? Those little squares of single ply flannel hold a buttload of water, I was slightly amazed yesterday when I did a tub soak and wrung them out, now I know why that little bit gave me enough as a booster. I will be trying these as a nighttime insert and they look like the perfect newborn diaper before they can transition to bigger sizes, not to mention perfect for someone cd'ing on a budget, who needs expensive diapers when these are inexpensive and work perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! We have the same print Cover. I love Rumparooz, and I enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for sharing. I use receiving blankets as burp rags and cut them up for liners but never thought of using them as flats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is soo cool! Im definitely going to swap out some of my pockets for these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this informative post. How absorbent are these compared to a prefold?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post. babygearsguide

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    We are baby textile products factory.
    Our products incude baby muslin swaddle blanket, baby clothes, baby sleeping bag, baby bedding products...
    More products please visit our website: https://www.hongbobaby.com/baby-swaddles

    Best regards
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the information. I really like the way you express complex topics in lucid way. It really helps me understand it much better way. cotton fiber baby swaddle muslin blanket

    ReplyDelete
  9. great blog! thanks for sharing it, if you are looking for a good baby iteams then, the Butterfly Swaddle has the best and Non velcro soft baby swaddle blankets for newborns. Our baby swaddles are lightweight & breathable and the best in all the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really appreciate for your efforts you to put in this article, this is very informative and helpful. I really enjoyed reading this blog. Keep sharing and give us more updates about Soft Receiving Blankets.

    ReplyDelete